THANK YOU TEACHERS!!

Today is the last day of school for our two boys – and are they ever ready!!   Actually, it’s not even a whole day…they only go until noon, but of course, according to them, it will still be the most torturous day they have ever experienced.  This morning they were already complaining about how awful it was for them to go back for what is sure to be the WORST four hours of their life.  And their teachers have planned such awful activities like “bring your favorite game from home” or “dress up like a goofy character” or “be ready for extra recesses” – I mean, it’s no wonder they are dreading today, don’t you agree?  I am so worried my children won’t survive…

I am so thankful for all the wonderful things I see my kids teachers do for them.  I know this time every year can be draining for teachers.  They put their heart and soul into all that they do every day – and there are days…and sometimes weeks…that can be so exhausting!!  A teacher-friend of mine posted this picture on Facebook earlier in the week –  I about died when I saw it!!  (I must admit I don’t remember ever turning purple during my years in the classroom….but my students may remember otherwise!)



Today brings back some bittersweet memories for their former-teacher-mom.  I always loved the beginning and ending of the school year – for two very different reasons.  The beginning of a school year was full of newness and excitement for the year to come!  And the end of the year was full of anticipation of the rest that would surely come after experiencing all the excitement from the year you had previously been so hopeful about!!  I mean, my goodness, excitement is exhausting!!  But what I loved so much about the last day of school, is all those faces that were new to you in August, are now these great kids you’ve come to know and love over the year.  And darnit, if every year those kids didn’t figure out how to sneak their way into your heart by May.  I don’t know how they did it, but every year they did!  Now, don’t get me wrong, there were always a couple of kiddos who you wanted to bonk on the head for being ridiculous on a pretty regular basis – but, after a good head bonking, you wanted to hug  them too.

My heart goes out to all the teachers saying goodbye to their classes today.  I know it is one of relief and sadness!  Good times remembered, but happiness for an ending year.  I hope my two boys didn’t wear their teachers out too bad…Lord knows, they have the capability to!  As a little tribute, here is my wish for every teacher today:

-          May you get through this day with plenty of tissues as you say goodbye
-          May your room not be too much of a mess to clean up and organize
-          May the candy that you give and receive not all go to your thighs
-          May the summer days you long for give you strength to energize



Thank you for all that you do for the kids, teachers!!  I know the work and love you put into this career and our kids are always better for it!  Enjoy your summer!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are what you read? Really?

TOILET "INJURIES"

WHEN I'M SIXTY-FOUR