POSTSEASON = HISTORY + ALTERNATE UNIVERSE

You know it’s post season, right?

For those of us crazed baseball fans things are starting to get interesting especially if your team made the cut. Our family has watched its far share of playoffs, but this year has me in a quandary.  I am telling you, a lot more is going on than just the playing of baseball games.  As many people know, baseball players and fans have ridiculous superstitions, beliefs, and customs.  For instance, players won’t launder their socks because they think it could possibly stop a winning streak or they won’t shave because ever since they missed a day their team started winning.  Whatever the beliefs you may have heard of (or possibly believe in yourself) this year a couple of the postseason teams have some intriguing ideas and stories to consider. 

First up, the Kansas City Royals.  As you may know, the Kubiks are big Kansas City Royals fans.  Both my boys have the “Hos” haircut (after the 1st baseman Eric Hosmer), we have a cat named Salvador Perez (after our favorite catcher), and my boys wear enough Royals apparel to school that I’m pretty sure their teachers think we don’t own clothes without a Royals logo.  (Either that, or they think I don’t do laundry…but I’m going with the former statement for my own peace of mind).  If you know anything about baseball, especially Royals baseball, then you know that since 1985 we haven’t been so whoopee.  We won the World Series and then kind of tanked from there…until last year.  Finally, we made it to the pinnacle of baseball games once again only to fall short in game seven.  (I still get upset thinking about that last play!  Why didn’t they send Gordon home?? Are ya feeling me fans??) 


But why is this year special for the Royals, you ask?  In 1985 when the Royals played in the World Series, it was against the St. Louis Cardinals.  Have you noticed who is also in the postseason playoffs this year?  That’s right, the St. Louis Cardinals.  It’s 30 years later and the two teams who played in 1985 have the possibility to meet once again this year.  Mind blown, right?

 VS.

But here’s another crazy storyline to consider – if we’re going for the cosmic-wonders-of-the-universe-in-relation-to-all-things-baseball…and it involves the Chicago Cubs.


Why is this team worth talking about?  Obviously, you haven’t read my previous post about how we might actually be living in an alternate universe where Marty McFly comes to save us from Biff.  Yes, you read my words correctly, I am talking about the movie Back to the Future II.  How does this relate to baseball?  If you recall, while Marty is fumbling around in the “future” which is now in fact, present day October 2015, he finds out that the Chicago Cubs FINALLY win the World Series!  So now, we not only have a Biff-like candidate running for President (aka Donald Trump) we also have the Chicago Cubs gunning for the pennant!!  I don’t normally listen to this kind of malarkey or hocus pocus junk, but even this has my head spinning.



If you ask me, when the Sports Center commentators start spewing their ideas about who’s going to win each of these series, they need to pause and take a moment to reflect on what could really be happening.  Deja vu or alternate universe theories should be making the table talk this year.  Call me crazy or accuse me of wild ideas and assumptions – I honestly don’t care.  In reality, I’m simply a baseball fan which is basically the same difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are what you read? Really?

TOILET "INJURIES"

WHEN I'M SIXTY-FOUR