THANKFULNESS

Have you ever been asked to list what you are most thankful for?  Isn’t it funny how some things change over the years and others don’t?  Though I have always been fond of nice weather…lately, I am much more thankful for dry days than ever before.  I love nice weather so I can play outside with the kids or work in the yard, but my perspective about weather has changed since May 2.  The excessive amount of rain we have received this year, now has me craving (and possibly obsessing for…) ANY DAY that is a DRY DAY.  I promise I’m not desiring these days so I can work on my tan or spend time at the pool.  No, I want dry days so my husband isn’t swamped as he helps others  with their over saturated septic needs and can be at home (at a decent hour…) with me and the boys.  Yes, it is still selfish, but not the way you might think.

I am a firm believer in staying positive, being thankful, or looking for the silver-lining as much as possible, but there are days when I struggle – as I am sure many people do.  We are all human, right!? I try to joke about the craziness of life – I mean, sometimes you just have to laugh, don’t you?  But, if I’m not trying to make light of my new puddle-filled life, I’m going to focus on the positives as much as possible.

I believe that it is good practice to be thankful for a number of reasons.  It keeps us seeking the positives in life. It reminds us of the good going on every day.  And, it’s just a good practice to condition yourself to think thankfully.  In a world where people are depressed or only seeing what they DON’T have, why not focus on what you DO have?  I love the line in Sheryl Crow’s song “Soak Up the Sun” where she sings, “It’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve got.”   Isn’t that the truth?!  What are you blessed with?  Are you focusing on that, or what you don’t have?   A year ago I posted 10 things I was thankful for on Facebook and it reminded me that maybe I should do it again!  So here’s my new TOP 10 list of things I am thankful for:

10. NICE WEATHER: I really do love nice and dry weather…but this year, I am even more thankful for it than ever before!!

9.  FAMILY TIME:  My husband has been working so hard we don’t always get to see him, so when we do, it is precious time to us!  I don’t care what we’re doing – so long as we are doing it together!! 

8.  GOOD FRIENDS:  God has blessed me with quality, dependable, loving friends.  The kind that love you when you’re ugly as well as when you’re all cleaned up  -- the kind who give more than they take.  When I first moved to Nebraska, I craved good friends since I had to leave mine behind in Kansas.  It’s not like I don’t still have my Kansas friends, but 4 hours puts a damper on your closeness.  I remember praying for good women to be brought into my life…and though it didn’t happen overnight, God did answer my prayer!!

7.  A SENSE OF HEARING:  You might think this is a silly thing to list, but I am thankful for my ability to hear – especially  when what I am hearing are my children’s conversations.   I get such a hoot out of what they say to each other.  I love how unaware they are about their words.  In my opinion, what they say is hysterical.  They crack me up daily with their words – I can’t imagine not being able to hear their little voices.

6.  COFFEE, DIET PEPSI, and WINE:  Go ahead and judge if you must   

5.  BASEBALL:   I am thankful for baseball – both little and big league kind and games played just for fun on our own field. I love the actual game and all its nuances, but I also love how it brings my family together.  Husband, wife, and brothers get into the game.  We all get involved whether we are observing or physically playing.  It’s our thing and I love it.

4.  SUMMER NIGHTS:   I am thankful for nice, long, summer nights.  We sit outside and play.  Have great conversations.  Watch fireflies.  Find constellations and planets.  Enjoy the smells of nature.  Ahhhh…good times.

3.  MY BOYS:  I am so very thankful for my boys.  Without them, my life would be so dull.  They drive me nuts and there are times I want to cash in on the phrase “I brought you into this world, I can take you out!”  But, bottom line they are good, funny, and overwhelmingly honest kids. (And more importantly…they are mine.)

2. MY HUSBAND:  I am thankful for my husband.  There isn’t another man alive who works as hard has him.  (I know many people say that, but I can truly back up these words…just spend a day with him and you’ll re-define your definition of what it means to be a “hard worker.”)  The man never stops no matter how hard or undesirable the work is.  His goal is to be a good provider and that is exactly what he is for me and the boys every single day.  He is out in the summer heat and the frigid cold doing physically hard work and he does this 365 days a year.  He leaves early and comes home late.  He doesn’t know what 8-5 Monday through Friday is for a workweek.  He never stops.  However, this doesn’t mean he doesn’t know how to have fun.  He loves to play catch with the boys, work in the shed to build them a back stop or other items the kids want for fun, take off to treat the family to a trip to KC, shoot off rockets on a calm day, or countless other things as a family we enjoy.  He gives “the family provider” a whole new meaning and for that, I am unbelievably thankful.


1.  MY GOD:  Without Him, I would be lost.  He is the reason for all the good in my life and the ultimate reason to give thanks.

That’s my thankful list.  What’s yours?  I would challenge you to create your own this week.  It really helps a person focus on the blessings in life no matter how big or small.  It doesn’t have to be Thanksgiving to be thankful!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are what you read? Really?

TOILET "INJURIES"

WHEN I'M SIXTY-FOUR